PDA

View Full Version : Insane Kevin Schwantz (not RSV related)

dr_justice
04-03-2008, 02:40 PM
I just saw this now and thought I'd post it online.

It's just completely insane. The exchanges with #34 and #3, as well as #34 and #1 are unbelievable.

Near highside misses, wheelieing inside a chicane, awesome skidding control. It's all there.

A bit old school but unbelievable nonetheless. I can't believe this would be from a single race.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Mc4GdrRaYyU

Shibby!
04-03-2008, 03:34 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, (because these races were almost before I was born), but isn't Kevin the guy who wrote Twist of the Wrist 1/2. Doesn't he also have a motorcycle school in Cali?

EDIT: Nevermind, Keith Code was the author.

forum
04-03-2008, 04:30 PM
Correct me if I'm wrong, (because these races were almost before I was born), but isn't Kevin the guy who wrote Twist of the Wrist 1/2. Doesn't he also have a motorcycle school in Cali?

Schwantz has a school at Road Atlanta. Amazing rider.

DeBenGuzzi
04-03-2008, 04:44 PM
its too bad a lot of the finess has drained out of the sport, I wonder if a modern young GP rider could even make it back then I mean some of those corners they're basically drifting it I wish I had been watching racing more back then instead of eating frosted flakes and watching transformers :happy:

RZRob
04-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Kevin's da Man! My buddy worships the gujy and has everything Kevi!

RZ Rob

Pumpkin
04-03-2008, 05:13 PM

I was just about to correct you on that, yep.. Keith code :cheers:

I'd love to take a California Superbike School-course one day.. :rolleyes:

ckruzel
04-03-2008, 05:50 PM
all the racers have talent, some have alot more talent than others and can afford not to train as hard, schwantz was one of them, loads of talent, he once said he got into roadracing from the dirt because he didn't have to train as hard or as much, gobert, jean michele bayle and rossi also come to mind, back in the day the 500's were awsome to watch, a real handfull compared to the modern day motogp bikes

FORREALQUICK
04-03-2008, 06:06 PM
To watch this only makes me want to ride. The reason we ride what we ride and enjoy the ride when we are out there.

Stan

The Dr.Jon
04-04-2008, 03:24 AM
It's worth adding that it was generally accepted that the Suzuki was not as good as the Yams or the NSRs back then and it was Schwantz's ability on the bike, particularly on the brakes, "see God and back off!" was his mantra, that made the difference.

I never tire of watching those battles and was lucky enough to see Schwantz ride in the TransAtlantic Challenge races back in the 1980s at Donington with the likes of Haslam, Rainey, Lawson, Mamola, Baldwin etc.

boxermade
04-05-2008, 01:48 AM
I saw KS. back in 85 at Willow Springs when he was with team Yoshi. At the start of the race his bike stalled and by the time he push started it. The entire field had gone thru turn 4. But at lap 6 he was in First and ended up lapping half the field before the end. It was the greatest ride I have ever seen. He stated that he made two passes thru the dirt during the post race interview.

JasonG
04-06-2008, 11:37 PM
I never tire of watching those battles and was lucky enough to see Schwantz ride in the TransAtlantic Challenge races back in the 1980s at Donington with the likes of Haslam, Rainey, Lawson, Mamola, Baldwin etc.

You are a very lucky man:worship:. I think it was 87 at the transatlantic race between rainey and schwantz. It was a crazy battle and was voted best race of all time for road racing by a UK mag earlier this year. Its funny cause this race was supposed to be america vs uk riders and someone in the american team suggested that since rainey or schwantz would win just come to an agreement before the race who would cross the finish lane first and split the winnings.....well, those two would have nothing of that, and had the craziest battle of all time, you would never believe they were on the same team. I have it on dvd and its such a fierce battle.:worship::worship:

JasonG
04-06-2008, 11:38 PM
I saw KS. back in 85 at Willow Springs when he was with team Yoshi. At the start of the race his bike stalled and by the time he push started it. The entire field had gone thru turn 4. But at lap 6 he was in First and ended up lapping half the field before the end. It was the greatest ride I have ever seen. He stated that he made two passes thru the dirt during the post race interview.

i think this is the race weekend were Schwantz was discovered by John Ulrich.

JasonG
04-06-2008, 11:39 PM
I am attended his 3 day school in atlanta in 3 days!! woooo-hooooo:bond:

boxermade
04-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I think your right. I also remember riding back to Oxnard that Sunday night in the pouring rain with no rain gear. SUCKED!!

wavz
04-07-2008, 01:20 PM
I can't believe how small my balls feel after watching that :eek:

pbas
04-07-2008, 03:36 PM
It's worth adding that it was generally accepted that the Suzuki was not as good as the Yams or the NSRs back then and it was Schwantz's ability on the bike, particularly on the brakes, "see God and back off!" was his mantra, that made the difference.
I never tire of watching those battles and was lucky enough to see Schwantz ride in the TransAtlantic Challenge races back in the 1980s at Donington with the likes of Haslam, Rainey, Lawson, Mamola, Baldwin etc.Actually...have Suzuki really won anything (500's or MotoGP) before or since?.
MotoGP, for once has to follow F1 and do away with some of the electronic wizardry.
Put the stuff where it makes a positive difference: On road bikes.
The MotoGP guys can do without it.
Oooops ranting...sorry:blah::blah:

Apeboy
04-08-2008, 12:26 PM
Actually...have Suzuki really won anything (500's or MotoGP) before or since?.
MotoGP, for once has to follow F1 and do away with some of the electronic wizardry.
Put the stuff where it makes a positive difference: On road bikes.
The MotoGP guys can do without it.
Oooops ranting...sorry:blah::blah:

They won the 500 GP title in 2000 with Kenny Roberts Jr. Racing is the test bed for roadbikes. If it were not for the technology from racing we would all be riding 50cc mopeds. (Nothing against anyone who rides mopeds).