PDA

View Full Version : Lojack, for motorcycles. Worth trying?

Lugh
03-26-2008, 04:30 PM
Really, do you think it's worth the money? (http://www.lojack.com/motorcycle/Pages/motorcycle-solutions.aspx) I'm out of the military and moving back to Texas, but ever since Katrina sent New Orlean's riff raff to Houston, I can't feel safe leaving the Ape unattended.

Superlite 17k
03-26-2008, 04:47 PM
Is it available in Texas? I looked at LoJack when I bought my Tuono, but it was not available in Texas. I'm assuming there must be some cooperation with State / local law enforcement in terms of their willingness to use Lojack's technology.

But to answer your original question - yes, I thought it would be worth trying.

And thanks to Texas for taking in so many of Louisiana's criminals - we don't want them back. Tell them nothing has been fixed in New Orleans, and their new houses are in California.

boingo
03-28-2008, 01:53 PM
I had a lowjack on an old car once. Got it ripped off too. Back when I lived in California. I had to call the Lowjack number and pay them $500.00 to activate the unit. 13 hours later I got a call to come and get my car. Unfortunately the car was smashed during a persuit from the cops trying to catch the kids that stole it in the first place. The state and local police departments need to have the equipment to track the sending unit so if it is installed you need to make sure it is supported locally. Does it work...they found my car! I don't know where they put the unit on the car or for that matter wher they would be able to put one on a bike. It definately works, but as for me, by the time it was found and retreived it was too late. Ever though of a cheap ass wheel lock or something else. I mean, try to prevent the theft instead of worring about getting it back after it's gone.

Jet City Racer
03-30-2008, 11:16 AM
Tell them nothing has been fixed in New Orleans, and their new houses are in California.
Sorry, we already have all the Mexicans, you keep the u-no-watts. :bond:

02RSVVT
03-30-2008, 06:08 PM
I believe Lojack needs a clear signal, so if the wtmf that steals your ride puts
it in a van and takes it to the chop shop it will not be found.
Spend Your money on a loud alarm and locks.

Lugh
04-04-2008, 03:05 PM
I like the look of this. (http://www2.phantomtracking.com/store/tmpl/full9776.html?body=products)

MightyMouse
04-06-2008, 08:44 AM
I believe what makes Lojack worth the money is that they will pay out if your vehicle IS stolen and not recovered.
Places like Paterson, NJ, and Newark, NJ are places where the cops won't do anything about a stolen bike (even if they know where it is) so this kind of puts some power in your corner as you can actually have Lojack track your bike as well as local law enforcement. As far as it not working because it's in a van, or warehouse I don't want to accept that as fact, since my cell phone can work in a van, or in a building, and often in tunnels and subways.
Are we tracking VIN numbers for the bikes as well?
I think we need people to ONLY purchase parts from someone they can identify as legitimate. With a bike like the RSV and other bikes like the mv Agusta, and Benelli the demand for parts is relatively low. We can make this work to our advantage. If people are looking into the parts they're about to buy it might help us to put an end to them stealing bikes like ours. I mean, can my RSV-R be started without the key at all? Doesn't the key HAVE to be present to send a signal to the ECU to turn on vi Microchip? Without this, how do they use the bike. I don't think they can, so what happens? They part it out.. But if no one wants their stupid parts they will think it over next time they see one.. Hmm.. maybe I shouldn't steal that bike, since all the parts from the last one are still in my garage.
I know this for a FACT.. The next Aprlia I buy.. I mean.. next motorcycle I buy (it might not be an aprilia.. yeah right).. is going to be customized by me. I'm going to get a metal stamp and stamp something in the parts of valie (swingarm, forks, plastics (on the insides) engine cases, heads so on and so forth. Basically, make it so that your bike is easily identifiable to anyone looking to purchase parts. Then... Keep an eye out for parts.. Big parts like a set of forks. Ask the seller (since you know it will be on ebay) to let you know if its the special edition set with a (your stamped code) on it.. for example.. I stamp 1139-D on the forks where they meet the upper tripples. NO one sees that until the forks are off and if that number is there you know they're yours. Ask them if you can come see them. If they say yes, get the address and send the police. If they say no, then get the ebay info and send that to the police. Everything on the internet can be traced back to a house, or even a computer (because of IP mapping and Ethernet Addresses, in case you're not a computer person) so these people can be caught if we start doing something about it.
As far as the people/gang that has my bike. I have word of where they are. I just need to recruit another 50-100 people in Michigan (they like their guns) to take a trip to NJ with me to make sure they can't steal bikes again.

tonyinva
04-11-2008, 09:14 PM
As far as the people/gang that has my bike. I have word of where they are. I just need to recruit another 50-100 people in Michigan (they like their guns) to take a trip to NJ with me to make sure they can't steal bikes again.

Virginia is much closer and home to gun-owner clubs like the NRA. :gunner::gunner::gunner: :eek:
:plus:

"sandman"
10-14-2008, 06:14 AM
I believe Lojack needs a clear signal, so if the wtmf that steals your ride puts
it in a van and takes it to the chop shop it will not be found.
Spend Your money on a loud alarm and locks.

I lived in Florida last 2 years and I lived in an upscale part of my city. I had those bign monster chains on my bike with a loud alarm system on it. The thieves took my bike cover off threw it on the ground picked the lock and threw it on the ground and took my bike while the alarm was blaring. I got a phone call a year later from the detectives that they recovered my bike and I could pick up the frame immediately. The frame I said, yes the frame. They only recovered the frame. The detective told me they get over 1500 reported thefts a month. The thieves don't care what you have they will take it even if you have a fortress around your home. They will stalk you for months and watch every move you make and when you make a mistake they will strike and take your bike. They were working with a once convicted bike thief that was helping track new thieves. He said the only good thing you have going for you is insurance. In Florida you don't have to have insurance. That was a 10000.00 Mistake on my part. I know I was stupid, that is why I am telling you. So you don't make the same mistake. Insure it high. I had just canceled my insurance 2 weeks before it was stolen. Mt buddies little brother had a GSXR 1000 for one week and took it to Daytona, parked it next to his brothers R1 at a motel. The next morning the R1 was still there not his 1000. He didn't have insurance either cause it was going to cost him 1000.00 a month. There is another tracking system out there, I will find the name and post it tomorrow. The detective did tell me though that lojack is a good tool.
SM

dirthawker1313
10-14-2008, 02:48 PM
just recently here they caught a bike theif with lojack. he had loaded the bike a cbr 600 in the back of his truck and took it to his house and put it in the garage. aparently he looked for the lojack unit but couldnt find it so he assumed it didnt have lojack. 4 hrs later the cops were at his house and arrested him. turns out the lojack was in the gas tank..

Brucetafer
10-14-2008, 05:59 PM
i had a GPS unit in my frame on my Bandit 1200S, the theives robbed my house, my truck, stuffed my bike in my truck along with all my other belongings, i tracked the GPS showed the cops where it was, they took me along on the bust! it was the coolest thing ever, they ended up finding like 500+ guns wrapped underneath a drug house in CA.. +1 on JCR about the mexicants, it was a 1,000,000+ dollar bust, the owners of the house were sent back to mexico, (illegal aliens) i got everything back, but the GPS unit company went out of business... it was originally a company that made watches for kids that had GPS on them, was 29.95 a year for the coverage, + 200 or so for the watch.. best money i ever spent... + i got everything back after the court dates (evidence)

"sandman"
10-15-2008, 05:58 AM
Found that link for you guys and gals! It is called the GPS snitch and can be found @ www.gps-snitch.com or @ jcwhitney. I don't know anything about it other than it can be located using your mobile phone and google earth. At least that is what I thought I had read. Worth looking into.
SM

Stick
10-16-2008, 08:24 PM
i had a GPS unit in my frame on my Bandit 1200S, the theives robbed my house, my truck, stuffed my bike in my truck along with all my other belongings, i tracked the GPS showed the cops where it was, they took me along on the bust! it was the coolest thing ever, they ended up finding like 500+ guns wrapped underneath a drug house in CA.. +1 on JCR about the mexicants, it was a 1,000,000+ dollar bust, the owners of the house were sent back to mexico, (illegal aliens) i got everything back, but the GPS unit company went out of business... it was originally a company that made watches for kids that had GPS on them, was 29.95 a year for the coverage, + 200 or so for the watch.. best money i ever spent... + i got everything back after the court dates (evidence)

They should have given you some kind of reward! I guess getting your goods back is reward enough..