PDA

View Full Version : Moto Guzzi Handling isse? myth or reality...

cosaro
02-29-2008, 02:14 AM
Just a question to all who own one, do the guzzi's tend want to turn left, the direction of the cranks gyroscopic forces. I only heard this from a guy who runs a scooter shop...so he could be a nob shine. haha thanks

RossGuzzi
02-29-2008, 08:50 AM
He`s right, its a wonder they are still making such a dangerous machine!!:eek:

Take a new one for a ride.....you may be suprised!!

guzzitech
02-29-2008, 09:59 PM
Tell him to put the crack pipe down. At rest, Guzzis with the older heavier flywheels (California line and older) will tip/torque the bike slightly to the right. Once the clutch is out and you're moving, all's good.
The newer V11 Sports do it less, and the newest Guzzis, Griso, Breva, Norge etc it is nearly non-existent. Not a good thing IMO... as they're starting to loose some of their "charm."

Yeah, I'm a Guzzi freak. Just try and catch me. ;)

Check us; www.GuzziTech.com

vato loco
02-29-2008, 10:15 PM
Ditto. You won't notice it once you're moving, which is what you'll do when on a Guzzi...

Soggy
03-01-2008, 02:37 PM
Same as with any bike with a longitudinally oriented crank (BMW, Honda CX, Boss Hoss, etc.) - except the Moto Czysz with its counter-rotating cranks. My question: does anyone ever notice a standard v-twin (ala, Aprilia, Ducati, Harley etc.) dip forward (or backward?) when blipped at rest? How about in-line fours?

sonic
03-01-2008, 03:17 PM
my caponord doesnt do it neither did my ducati or vtr or tuono or softail nightrain i must be a closet v twin freak!!! but my wifes 883 sporster with rubber mounts clearly rocks when throttle is blipped!!!:cheers:

uberchicken
03-01-2008, 07:03 PM
my caponord doesnt do it neither did my ducati or vtr or tuono or softail nightrain i must be a closet v twin freak!!! but my wifes 883 sporster with rubber mounts clearly rocks when throttle is blipped!!!:cheers:

Lots of my vtwins, especially the sxv5.5, had a tenancy rock front to back. If I give the sxv too much throttle she'll "rock" right over backwards I bet, but i think it is a different issue.

naimchase
03-01-2008, 07:20 PM
Same as with any bike with a longitudinally oriented crank (BMW, Honda CX, Boss Hoss, etc.) - except the Moto Czysz with its counter-rotating cranks. ........
The CX has a counter-rotating clutch, which pretty much eliminates the issue.

cosaro
03-02-2008, 01:59 AM
thanks for the replys. Its a strange world of un-education and false senses of truth. Either that or im really gullable lol!

OZSLR
03-02-2008, 09:17 PM
Not a good thing IMO... as they're starting to loose some of their "charm."

The charm of rusted bits on a new bike and flaky chrome and engine coatings ? :)

DeBenGuzzi
03-03-2008, 02:58 AM
The charm of rusted bits on a new bike and flaky chrome and engine coatings ? :)

depends on which bike you buy, if you get the PRE-Aprilia models they're fricken rock solid with zero problems OTHER than the cheap relays and some have problems with the speedo cable routing but both are an easy fix. IF you choose to buy the POST-Aprilia but PRE-Piaggio Guzzi's they are going to be crap for overall quality, parts tend to fall off more, some zerks may not have ever seen grease, flaky paint and so on. I don't think I have any rust on my 2000 and I live in MN where they salt the roads 10mo out of the year. Its really been a great rock soild bike I guess the only problem I've had is the o-ring on the fuel regulator went out and started puking gas all over the side of the bike but then that was partly my fault for dickin with it when I didn't know what it was and I think I fowled the o-ring myself. SO if you want rock solidness get a redframed V11 or pre 02 any guzzi, that or a brand new one, I hear they're impeccable

cosaro
03-03-2008, 03:11 AM
In saying this, there is a Scarabeo 500 from 2007, sitting out the back with 4000km on the clock and 50% of the exterior bolts and nuts are rusted.

DeBenGuzzi
03-03-2008, 02:05 PM
Oh about the handling? myth, big time myth. Just cruise over to the V11lemans.com and see for yourself all the track days and even the MSG-01 thats been cleaning up in the super twins. :bond:
These come stock with a steering damper and after 02 or 03 they pretty much all have ohlins up front.

It is true they rock back and forth at a light but thats just the nature of the torq effect and completely goes away once you start moving.

OZSLR
03-03-2008, 05:15 PM
if you get the PRE-Aprilia models they're fricken rock solid with zero problems

Sorry, I was just having a stir :). I now own a Breva1100 with some sport1200 bits on it and can never see me parting with it.

I do however think the zero problems claim is a little ambitious. For a couple of years (Aug05-June07) as a sea change, I worked for the local importer managing the dealer network. Couple of the dealers had been long time (20Y+) MG agents and spoke of having to literally rebuild the bikes out of the box in the pre aprilia days, so maybe the "quality" you were seeing had an amount of intervention. There were also some issues under the new ownership, but I believe the direction was up as far as final product

Also, many of the models you are seeing now, were due to the aprilia ownership and vision, not Piaggio. Piaggio have implemented, but were not the original innovators of the post V11 models.

But it is fantastic to see such a wonderful marque with wind beneath it's wings again.

DeBenGuzzi
03-03-2008, 07:23 PM
Sorry, I was just having a stir :). I now own a Breva1100 with some sport1200 bits on it and can never see me parting with it.

I do however think the zero problems claim is a little ambitious. .

well yes its a little over the top on my part but it may have something to do with dealer setup and just my luck. I also bought the bike used from the dealer with only 3500mi on it so maybe the previous owner tweaked out some gremlins for me. I have also seen on the V11 forum that most of the red framed models have much fewer problems than the later models but that the newer line of MG is just spectacular compared to previous bikes in fit and finish. The biggest problems were with the Scura's clutches and bad engine paint flaking off I believe both went under a recall. Every bike has something wrong but not many bikes can go more than 200,000mi with little more than regular maintenance :worship: (and in many cases still look pretty darn good to boot)

drdaytona
03-04-2008, 10:58 PM
An 04 Cafe Sport recently found it's way into my garage. After a quick first ride, I agree wholeheartedly, above a walking pace, the gyro effect is exactly zero.

Fun bike, no Tuono though. It is perfect for my father-in-law :cheers:

OZSLR
03-05-2008, 04:52 PM
Fun bike, no Tuono though. It is perfect for my father-in-law :cheers:

I got off a Tuono (my 3rd Aprilia) and onto a Guzzi. Sure I miss the outright grunt and sharper handling (at times), but I find the Guzzi a more enjoyable ride if taking in all aspects of my riding (dominated by touring and a bit of weekend scratching on mountain roads), and a richer character, particularly given the over policing of our roads in OZ, and I am not at father in law age yet :).

FORZA
03-06-2008, 12:16 AM
Admit it dude, you are just getting old!!!!!!

Dave.

SF2DieHard
03-06-2008, 09:31 AM
Admit it dude, you are just getting old!!!!!!

Dave.

Phttt!!!!!

I've loving the ride of Guzzi's since I was in my mid-twenties. Then I graduated to SF2's. :)

Guzzi's rock. I think that "character" thing comes from the engine having pushrods.

DungeonMaster