PDA

View Full Version : Vision

Aprilia13
02-21-2008, 01:45 PM
So I searched for "glasses" . . . you'd be surprised at how many drinking stories you'll find on this forum when all you want to know is if there's already been any discussion about helmets, and eyeglasses, and their inability to play nice together, particularly at the track.
I'm not a racer, but I do enjoy the occasional trackday, and I've learned that comfort can play a large part in how well I ride. If I'm all twisted up in leathers that don't fit, or wearing a glove that doesn't fit, or something like that, I lose focus. Not a lot, but even 1 % of thought put toward some little thing is 1 % that's not being put where it ought. Here's the deal: I am not one of the lucky bastards. I need glasses to see where the hell I'm going, and every helmet I've ever put on (that is properly snug enough) has a tendency to push on the earpieces of my glasses, and alter their position on my head (and not always in the same way).

I am not interested in any advice regarding contacts, or laser surgery.
I AM interested in knowing if any of you racer types wear either glasses or goggles, and what you've learned.

My particular concerns are whether or not goggles create yet another opportunity for condensation, and how difficult it's going to be to get a snug helmet on over them. Or if anyone's found any tricks with the glasses thing, I'm all ears.
Cheers for any input:cheers:

JedB
02-21-2008, 02:25 PM
I found that if I wear glasses that do not wrap around the ears (think Oakley Wire frame http://oakley.com/pd/4266 ) then I have less movement.

You can also modify them (dremmel) so they don't extend too much past your ear/head connection, thus reducing the chance that they will be moved by the helmet.

:burnout:

Jet City Racer
02-21-2008, 02:59 PM
Different helmets do the same with me. My Arai accomodates glasses fine but my new KBC has a tendency to push my glasses up and my old Shoei let them slip down my nose.

I'd shop around for a lid that fits your head/glasses the best.

zedx9
02-24-2008, 11:10 AM
I'd shop around for a lid that fits your head/glasses the best.

:plus: I get funny looks when I shop for sunglasses packing my helmet around but if you want the combo to work you have to fit them together. I, luckily don't need glasses for distance but I do if I want to see my instruments. You might also consider inletting/relieving the area of padding in your helmet that pushes on the temples. Might be able to remove a small amount of padding to reduce the pressure on the temples of the glasses.