PDA

View Full Version : Just some thought on the RSV successor

eyilon
01-30-2008, 12:24 PM
I cant underline enough the importance of Aprilia to continue the V2 engine range, and preferably the V60 config. The Rotax engine makes a very distinct sound that can easily be distinguished from other 2 cylinders
(note:ducati L2). In my opinion one of the reasons I fell in love with Aprilia. It has a much rawer raspy caracter than the lazy sound of the Ducati'es. I have the feeling Aprilia is going to use their new in house L2 1200. This is understandable because its their engine.

Aprilia has for me been more of a European industry project. I've never had any romantic Italian afair with Aprilias as some describe, specially the Ducati crowd. For me Aprilia has been darn good bikes that has the looks, end of story. And they are a bargain for what you get. Just get the best bits and pieces and put them together to a refined and balanced product with cutting edge performance and reliability. Thats why I have no problem with the Rotax gem. I dont mind its not Italian. Why not a Rotax 1200? But I have the feeling its not gonna happen....

The V4 project is very exiting and in my opinion the best way to go for a ultimate superbike project, but I still want a V2 that is a razor sharp trackday tool and that shines when riding in sport mode for the roads.This is what they've done before. Cause I'm afraid they are gonna make a more compromised 1200, just as many manufacturers has done in the past fading out old "racing" models. Aprilia NEEDS to take on Ducati in the big 2 cylinder segment. Its emotional, its marketing! The way Ducati has been promoting and releasing the 1098 is just amazing. The old trick by increasing volume is very clever and works well. And concidering the volume increase of the Duc, the power output is no revolution, its pure mathematics. I remember the discussions when the 600 sportbike era started, how some stated the 600 where just as fast or faster than the bigger bore bikes, others said: nothing beats VOLUME. I've seen time after time how the smaller capacity bikes shine on track, but in general I tend to agree with the later. And for petrolheads nothing equals the rush of a big engine, and this apply for journalists too.

Anyone notice that both Ducati and MV has used steroids? Mastebike of 2007 is on steroids!!!! And :WTF: they havent used the Factory on any of the comparios on net yet, and the 1098s is been used every time!! By the way the Masterbike 2006 laptimes where actualy faster than last year (yes, same track!). This to everybody who believes every year is a revolution in development, including journalists. Well one can argue the technical value of these test. As far as I recall a high ranked Honda representative who attended the Masterbike mayhem as observer a couple of years ago, questioned the validity of the tests, but one undeniable fact remains: MARKETING.

Sorry for this long post and the topics have been discussed before, I just had to get it out of my system :blah:, and yes I'm very biased, thats why I bought Aprilia! Yes, I could afford Ducati but I prefer the less snobbish Aprilia way. I just love the way they think motorcycle, period. :whiner:

budoist
01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
I think that the move away from Rotax engines in inevitable. With the cash inflow from Piaggio, it makes more sense financially to build the engine in house if they can and cut out the middle man. The RSV/SXV has shown that they can build an engine that performs well, but they need to work on the reliability of the engine. We'll see how the Shiver and Mana will work out.

The position that their V-Twin bikes will take with the advent of the 1000cc V4 will be interesting to watch. They cannot make it a balls out sportbike, because then it will compete with the V4 unless priced much lower. It may be used in a more street oriented, sporty bike (the new Falco?).

I don't think that they have to compete with Ducati in the twins arena. Ducati's marketing of the 1098 really played on a few key criticisms of the company - the 996 inspired design, the increased power and reduced weight of the new platform, the longer maintenance periods and lower cost. I really think that if Ducati didn't have the lower cost and lower maintenance, they hype wouldn't have been as effective because it was really a combination of the usual yearly updates while simultaneously making it cheaper (just about never happens).

The novelty of the V4 engine alone will get Aprilia some press once the bike is released. If they nail the styling then it could be a big hit for the firm, which they need right now. Here's to hoping!

hank
01-30-2008, 05:04 PM
Using Rotax was an excellent choice by Aprilia - after all, Rotax is one of the premier engine builders on the planet: personal water craft, snow mobiles, flat track racers, cart cars, ultralight planes, motorcycles, whatever....

And BMW even chose Rotax to initially build their 650 thumper engine (Aprilia initially built the rest of the chassis for BMW).

Not a bad company to be associated with, even in the initial phase of development... :cheers:

Crazy Horse
01-30-2008, 05:27 PM
My personal opinion is that if Aprilia does not build a big twin based on a superbike platform then myself and many others will be picking up the 1098/1198 from Ducati. If I wanted a four cyl. I would have one. If people think the twins are pricey to work on wait till they start work on a V-4.

Bill in OKC
01-30-2008, 05:28 PM
And :WTF: they havent used the Factory on any of the comparios on net yet, and the 1098s is been used every time!! By the way the Masterbike 2006 laptimes where actualy faster than last year (yes, same track!).

I noticed that too. The Factory wins the Masterbike competition and from then on, everyone always use the R for comparos. I just read the Jan. "Bike" magazine. A test between the 1000R and 1098S... They call the R the Masterbike winner and write like they are testing the Master Bike winner against the 1098s. :WTF: Why doesn't anyone use the Factory for important comparisons like that? It makes the entire test pointless.

Crazy Horse
01-30-2008, 05:31 PM
It wouldn't have made that much of a difference. The 1098 handles good and just plain runs away from the Aprilia.

Bill in OKC
01-30-2008, 05:36 PM
The biggest complaint against the R was its heavy handling - something that the winner of the Masterbike competition wouldn't have. If they tested the Factory against the base 1098 there *might* have been a point to reading the article.

Crazy Horse
01-30-2008, 05:47 PM
The RSVR and Factory both have ohlins front suspension. The differences are not that drastic. What class did the Aprilia win Masterbike in?

The RSVR is an outdated design, Aprilia needs to do something if they want to compete.

Bill in OKC
01-30-2008, 06:11 PM
The Factory won overall - top dog - and it wasn't that long ago. It beat the 999 which is by all accounts a better handling bike than the 1098. Maybe BIKE just didn't take the time to set their machines up properly?

hank
01-30-2008, 06:16 PM
The Factory won overall - top dog - and it wasn't that long ago. It beat the 999 which is by all accounts a better handling bike than the 1098. Maybe BIKE just didn't take the time to set their machines up properly?

I believe the Aprilia won in 2006 & the MV Agusta won in 2007.

Also, this is the first I heard of the 999 being a better handling package than the new 1098 :eek: Bill, do you have any supporting links or references to that statement?

Crazy Horse
01-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Yes it was 2006 when Aprilia won. 2005 the 999s won, hmm. They are in the maxisport class. The superbike class is the 1000cc inlines. I do not hold much credibility to the testing. if you look at the maxisport class the same three bikes and different results each year.

Diablo1
01-30-2008, 06:30 PM
I wish Aprilia doesn't abandon the Rotax V60. Surely they could improve the engine to make competitive power with the 1098. They've already got a chassis fully sorted for the V60, so all they really need is more displacement, bigger valves, and strengthen parts of the engine to improve reliability at higer power output. Modifying the current engine has to be a lot easier than designing a new engine from scratch. Keeping some of the original DNA is a good thing from a marketing standpoint.

Crazy Horse
01-30-2008, 06:39 PM
Safest you can go with the current engine is the 1060 kit.

Diablo1
01-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Safest you can go with the current engine is the 1060 kit.

Ya, then something breaks. So let's redesign that something so it doesn't break. I know 100mm is the accepted max for pistons to fit the current cylinder, but nothing is stopping them from designing a new set of cylinders and larger pistons. I know someone will say you can't fit even larger pistons in the narrow V angle, but there are ways around that problem too - like longer rods, taller cylinders, shorter piston skirts, or a staggered crank pin.

duc slayer
01-30-2008, 07:42 PM
I also believe the last test was done with the base R model, because soem twit trashed the Factory on the first day or setup day

rx7tt95
01-30-2008, 09:20 PM
I've purposely avoided the local Ducati dealership that has a demo 848. I don't want to know how it compares to my factory. The other bike that's very interesting (to me anyway) is the KTM RC8. FORTUNATELY, there isn't a KTM dealership near me either!

Aprilia had better come up with something soon, come September, post-GP extravaganza, I'll be shopping hard for an additional bike.

Apernice
01-30-2008, 09:31 PM
I also believe the last test was done with the base R model, because soem twit trashed the Factory on the first day or setup day

I know that when Motorcycleusa.com did the same test Aprilia wouldn't give them a factory because they totaled a Tuono Factory during their naked bike comparo. Apparently they were taking pictures of the Tuono doing wheelies and forgot that the back brake doesn't work. Needless to say they didn't have anything good to say about the Aprilia RSVR in their comparo with the 1098s.

Bill in OKC
01-30-2008, 11:57 PM
I believe the Aprilia won in 2006 & the MV Agusta won in 2007.

Also, this is the first I heard of the 999 being a better handling package than the new 1098 :eek: Bill, do you have any supporting links or references to that statement?

Here is one article - Doug Polen is as good a reference as any I think.
http://sameerkumar.blogspot.com/2007/05/doug-polen-not-so-impressed-with-ducati.html

AceOfSpades
02-01-2008, 05:46 AM
http://sameerkumar.blogspot.com/2007/05/doug-polen-not-so-impressed-with-ducati.html

interesting article :cheers:

olie
02-01-2008, 10:03 AM
...2005 the 999s won, hmm. ...

...the 999 did NOT win the overall!!! just won the V-twin-1000/I4-750 class. Never was the overall top dog.

Aprilia in 2006 broke the Japanese winning streak of the last 16 years or so for the top dog.

How can a bike that win the overall contest less than 2y ago is outdated, heavy, etc etc??? That,s another media spin!!!!

rlmoon61
02-01-2008, 10:03 AM

Bingo!

Maxacceleration
02-01-2008, 12:25 PM
The Rotax engine makes a very distinct sound that can easily be distinguished from other 2 cylinders

That is a fact. Nice ratty, cammy sound of the Rotax. Better than the duc IMO.
Everyone gets caught up in the latest/greatest and most may not go faster on the newest bike...

Take a look at the gen 1 Mille & Tuono, those owners still stand behind their bikes as they are solid performers with CHARACTER.

If Aprilia nails it on styling alone, they should have a desired V-4 on their hands. And hopefully not too many quirks...

Crazy Horse
02-02-2008, 11:56 AM
...the 999 did NOT win the overall!!! just won the V-twin-1000/I4-750 class. Never was the overall top dog.

Aprilia in 2006 broke the Japanese winning streak of the last 16 years or so for the top dog.

How can a bike that win the overall contest less than 2y ago is outdated, heavy, etc etc??? That,s another media spin!!!!

I know Ducati did not win overall in 2005 it did beat the Aprilia in the maxi sport class however. Then in 2006 Aprilia beats the Ducati with the same bikes? That is why I said I do not hold much regard for the Master bike ratings.

The Aprilia is outdated because it is a five year old bike with only a few minor updates. The Aprilia is heavier then the Ducati and makes less power. The Aprilia is heavier then the inline 1,000's the one 750 that Suzuki won't let die and all of the 600's. The Aprilia is a fat pig, it is fun to ride though.

If the RSV is such an outstanding bike then why were there no race teams using them in the 1,000cc superstock class? Easy to answer they would get spanked bad. An inline with 40-50 more HP and 30lbs less with more torque will beat the 1,000cc twin. That could be the reason why Ducati now has the 1098.

rx7tt95
02-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Actually there were revisions between 05 and 06 and in 05, Aprilia did beat the Ducati but Ducati protested and wanted the 05 bike dismantled to check for a non-stock bike.

Yes, the Aprilia is too heavy but do you really want less wind protection, a less comfy seat, worse ergo's, lights that don't work as well, etc...all in the name of weight? Granted, modern metal techniques could probably shave 20lbs. off the bike.

Just because no one races the bike, doesn't mean it isn't a fantastic road bike. They're not using it because the Rotax motor isn't capable of producing reliable hp at the levels needed to be competitive. Again, this doesn't make it inadequate on the street. Just look at what "The Barron" did with the RSV-R on the Nordschleife vs. bikes which are much more powerful. The R1, his personal bike, was only 2 seconds faster with what, 40 more hp? Granted, the F312 was 12 seconds faster than the nearest competitor but the Baron refused to ride the bike stating it was crap.

ZeroTwoRSV
02-02-2008, 07:38 PM
Here is one article - Doug Polen is as good a reference as any I think.
http://sameerkumar.blogspot.com/2007/05/doug-polen-not-so-impressed-with-ducati.htmlYeah, wasn't he still on the Duc payroll? Another discussion had Doug possibly trying to sell the last of the 999s for Ducati to make room for the 1098. It's hard to sell a bike that is last year's model at the same or cheaper than this year's bigger/better.

I agree with the other poster, many (most) won't go faster on a new bike, not enough to justify the difference at least.

I think Aprilia should offer 50 RSVs each year, until the fall of the Italian Empire. Offer them much cheaper than their flagship, and keep them respectable. They could become a cult classic overnight (OK, in many years).

eyilon
02-03-2008, 07:39 AM
Some state here that the Aprilia is a outdated piece of machinery, but that is in my opinion a slight overstatement:bump:. From a technical standpoint it is still quite modern and advanced, and last year there certainly hasnt been a revolution. Every year the industry always want us to believe that because they want to sell their new bikes, but Ducati tried to convince us otherwise during the 90's with the 916. They didnt alter that much for some years and its always been porky(NB:heavy not big). But still the benchmark of a bike at the time. The 999 was ended prematurely due to droping sales, and not because of technical nescessity. The engine needed an upgrade because of their troubles running it as a 1000cc in WSBK. And WSBK once again subdued to Ducati's will.:gunner:

I've seen for my self how little laptimes has changed on certain tracks over the years.Could anybody guess how much faster racebike stop from 60mph-0mph now and during the 70's? Of course there is progress, but no revolution nowadays Im'afraid. The masterbike test is a pretty high quality test but it is a track test and only that. When we buy a motorcycle most of us take into consideration more than just track performance alone, otherwise you settle for having the potensialy fastest track tool avaliable, and thats cool! But I nearly suspect they put the masterbike on different track every year because there can be some odd numbers appearing:confused:. During 2006 and 2007 they ended up using the same track and they went faster during 2006.

As to whether the Aprilia is successfull I would point out that they done well in sprint races,and in endurace too. In 2000 it was third in WSB with Troy Corser only after a couple of years of racing a brand new bike while Ducati with their big budget and X amount of engines and years of experiece with the bike came second!(I dont want to mention Honda...:confused:)And if I remember right he was a pretty darn good qualifier with it.And if you race a V2 with a limited budget. I think Aprilia will be considerably cheaper. But regarding racing parts Ducati is pretty unbeatable, so for higer level private racing Ducati must be the choise.

Regarding I4 they are more powerful and thats hard to argue. I4's are perfect for power even more so than a V4. In outright "bark" they are pretty darn impressive, but somehow I love the V2's and L2's for their caracterisics and are wonderfull for the road and trackdays. But I totaly agree and think Aprilia is doing the right thing going for a V4 in WSB. I think its a better idea than Ducati's kind of desperate 1200 that most likely needs traction control to operate properly at that level. 1200 is monstrous for a sportsbike realy, and isnt a specially elegant solution, but could be fun for the street and is in my opinion a must for Aprilia regarding marketing and image. I know racers over here specially on small tracks have their skills on trial getting that torque down. There are many reasons bike engines have comparatively lower torque than car engines. I believe Aprilia should not let the RSV fade away yet and answer Ducati with upgrading if they got the money. If not...ok i give up.:bangwall:

olie
02-03-2008, 08:19 AM
I know Ducati did not win overall in 2005 it did beat the Aprilia in the maxi sport class however. Then in 2006 Aprilia beats the Ducati with the same bikes? That is why I said I do not hold much regard for the Master bike ratings.

The Aprilia is outdated because it is a five year old bike with only a few minor updates. The Aprilia is heavier then the Ducati and makes less power. The Aprilia is heavier then the inline 1,000's the one 750 that Suzuki won't let die and all of the 600's. The Aprilia is a fat pig, it is fun to ride though.

If the RSV is such an outstanding bike then why were there no race teams using them in the 1,000cc superstock class? Easy to answer they would get spanked bad. An inline with 40-50 more HP and 30lbs less with more torque will beat the 1,000cc twin. That could be the reason why Ducati now has the 1098.

Typically I read the Masterbike from a few different magazines (from different countries) that are part of the contest. BTW, CW coverage is very poor. One thing comes in common, The Aprilia is heavier but ... it outhandles the other bikes!!!:worship:

Aprilia is slower than the inline fours, nobody dispute that. I guess a Jap inline four will meet your need. The go fast on the straightways!!:tired:

I guess you were disappointed with the last Masterbike, The Ducati did not win. Me too, they crash the properly tuned Aprilia Factory and replaced it with a standard RSVR at the last moment without the same handling and tuning. I strongly suggest you read the different reports.

Bill in OKC
02-03-2008, 11:13 AM
Aprilia did do pretty well with their second-string bike. The 1200 is going to have its work cut out if it is going to top the Factory. If it handles better than the Factory and looks better than the 1098 I'll be a happy camper.

ErikRsVR
02-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Hi all,

a word from Europe. The RSV is very outdated and the RSV is now on shows in very plain and laid-back colours. This is for a reason. Aprilia is working on several projects and the Dorsoduro is first on the list to be launched. The RSV Mille V2 has been practically unchanged for about 5 years.

Releasing the current RSV in "boring" colours is done for the reason of changing the image of this bike: Aprilia is making it more of a sports-tourer as a marketing strategy. The new one will come pretty soon. Both the V4 and the RSV 1200 will come.

The V4 is Aprilia's attempt at getting in the market again with the bigv players: the japanese and Ducati. The V4 (as you all will probably know) will have as much as 190 bhp in standard trim and the V4 will participate in the WSB. This bike has already been tested and tested (pictures of Alex Hoffman, remember)

And now the big thing: everybody that owns an Aprilia loves the V2 sound. Now how did the photographers notice the V4 on circuit with Alex Hoffman:

Track was full of bikes.... started raining.....every rider desided to quit, but the Aprilia has to go on in order to get mileage on the test-machine. One bike on track.... and what's that sound... incredible..... what the hell is that thing??. ...Let's make e few pics.

Later on they realised it was the V4 with a sound all current RSV owners will love. Don't worry about passion and character. This thing is super.

And it has been riding in disguise all through Europe for months now (as an R1, ZX etc).

I'll stop now before I say something I shouldn't. I just can't keep my m outh shut when I see you all discussing the 1098 and inline fours.

Btw: Rotax is a super manufacturer but the V2 confuguration is not the way to go in order to get the bhp and torque.

Bye for now

cheers from Europe

Sal Khan
02-03-2008, 12:30 PM
Are there still people on the internets that think the V4 will be cheap? And by cheap in this case I mean sub-$22,000USD.

Just checking.

ErikRsVR
02-03-2008, 12:46 PM
Are there still people on the internets that think the V4 will be cheap? And by cheap in this case I mean sub-$22,000USD.

Just checking.

dunno.... word here is that it will be around 20000 euros. Don'tknow the dollars

Sal Khan
02-03-2008, 12:59 PM
dunno.... word here is that it will be around 20000 euros. Don'tknow the dollars

That's about $30,000 USD.

I'm all for specials becoming the future of the "regular" line (ie: Ducati's "R" model motors becoming the next standard) but I wish Aprilia would give us a road map for their bikes. It feels like a decade since this stupid thing got started and still nothing.

ErikRsVR
02-03-2008, 01:41 PM
That's about $30,000 USD.

I'm all for specials becoming the future of the "regular" line (ie: Ducati's "R" model motors becoming the next standard) but I wish Aprilia would give us a road map for their bikes. It feels like a decade since this stupid thing got started and still nothing.In the US it won't cost all that much (in Holland the taxes on a bike are huge )

And consider this:

let's say that the bike is ready to go. Would you start selling it now or would you wait for the bike to appear in the WSB and then start selling it?

Marketing is the key-word here. And besides.... Aprilia will need to get everything ready(spare parts, etc). Why showing it now if it won't be for sale for months?

iroc07
02-03-2008, 03:24 PM
can you see anything in those spyshots that were taken? I would like to get a look at it and see if I can spot any differences. Its like the Aprilia version of Where's Waldo.
anybody know where to look for those shots ErikRSV is talking about?

iroc07
02-03-2008, 03:29 PM
nevermind, I'm a dumbass. I never clicked on the links of the Jerez testing thread to see that was the pics he was referring too.

BTW, ErikRSVR its nice to see someone that spells their name the same way as me.

The cool people spell it with a K:cheers:

ErikRsVR
02-03-2008, 03:36 PM
:cheers::cheers::cool:
nevermind, I'm a dumbass. I never clicked on the links of the Jerez testing thread to see that was the pics he was referring too.

BTW, ErikRSVR its nice to see someone that spells their name the same way as me.

The cool people spell it with a K:cheers:You can't see a thing on those pics: just an RSV fairing and a modified swing-arm (hmm why modify?)

And yes: the cool ones are spelled with a K: cheers and you can't possibly be a dumbass with a name like that.
:cheers:
http://www.racesport.nl/pics/fotos/18991.jpg

Sal Khan
02-03-2008, 05:05 PM
In the US it won't cost all that much (in Holland the taxes on a bike are huge )

And consider this:

let's say that the bike is ready to go. Would you start selling it now or would you wait for the bike to appear in the WSB and then start selling it?

Marketing is the key-word here. And besides.... Aprilia will need to get everything ready(spare parts, etc). Why showing it now if it won't be for sale for months?

I really doubt it'll be under $30,000USD. Aprilia themselves that will more than likely be the price point not to mention being that it's Aprilia and being that it's Italian, their crosshairs are on the 1098R, not everyone else.

And if you're talking about following the Example of Foggy-Petronas or HD VR1000 (in a manner of speaking) - then no. That's exactly what I don't want. Not sure about Europe but championships and history doesn't sell bikes in America.

Show whatever they have now to get us excited. Show it now to give us hope. Even if the KTM doesn't perform, they at least showed the world something. So now you even have current Aprilia owners thinking the KTM might not be a bad idea.

iroc07
02-03-2008, 05:24 PM
I agree with Sal, strategically "leaked" spyshots, and info have been used for decades to amp up the anticipation of an upcoming product. What the hell are they doing?
it doesnt have to be specific, even a vague tidbit of info here or there would be enough to keep it on the forefront of a potential new Ape buyers mind, instead of them focusing on the pics of the new KTM, or the 1098 they can see in showrooms.

hank
02-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Remember when the 2004 was about to be introduced?

Photos of the new design were 'leaked' and found their way onto this forum until Aprilia 'asked 'that they be removed...

Whether Aprilia was in on the leak or not will never be known, however, based on how fast the pictures were pulled, I would say Aprilia may be doing a better job of controlling the launch of the new V4 than what has been done in the past... :rolleyes:

Sal Khan
02-03-2008, 05:49 PM
I agree with Sal, strategically "leaked" spyshots, and info have been used for decades to amp up the anticipation of an upcoming product. What the hell are they doing?
it doesnt have to be specific, even a vague tidbit of info here or there would be enough to keep it on the forefront of a potential new Ape buyers mind, instead of them focusing on the pics of the new KTM, or the 1098 they can see in showrooms.

You know it might be cool 2 years prior to a launch. Yeah seeing the engine was neat but it's now less than a year than it's supposed launch we have just as little from Aprilia to go on. Mystery is one thing. Frustration is another.

AceOfSpades
02-03-2008, 06:06 PM

As this part of Europe I agree with Sal Khan, championship and history does not sell bikes, quality and looks sell them. It's a same thing as in F1, I wont buy Renault just because it won F1 championship.

Lets say someone is looking at championships and buys bikes according achived results. Imagine Aprilia waits for WSB to lunch it, and if it proves bad as for malfunctions or some serious engine problems, could result in a very bad sale start.

Like in life, timing is crucial..

:cheers:

hank
02-03-2008, 06:14 PM
The Mille was first launched in 1998 and when did Aprilia first enter WSBK*? :rolleyes:

Sal Khan
02-03-2008, 07:02 PM
Whether Aprilia was in on the leak or not will never be known, however, based on how fast the pictures were pulled, I would say Aprilia may be doing a better job of controlling the launch of the new V4 than what has been done in the past... :rolleyes:

And I think that's great. Build anticipation and whatnot. But, and this is speaking strictly in the sportbike sense, in the past 4 years we've been given 2 all new Ducatis, countless all-new Japanese models, and - like I said - KTM has even throw something crazy at us.

It's just a shame that we (you?) get shafted. But I think this topic is probably for a different thread... that has probably already been started. :D :)

ErikRsVR
02-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Agreed that it is more likely that the V4 will be better off launched before the WSB. Anyway,... everyone is waiting for this thing to come and the 1098 and RC8 are already here. We all so badly want Aprilia to hurry up and make everyone shut the %$#^up. Me too.

Aprilia is quite busy with the new Shiver, Dorsoduro and Mana but I'm quite sure the V4 wil be launched at the Eicma in Milan this year.

My guess is that it will be on sale in the spring of 2009. What do you all reckon?

rx7tt95
02-04-2008, 06:15 PM
I thought the KTM was supposed to be released this spring but they're saying 09 now with virtually identical hp/weightnumbers as the 1098. Even the wheelbase is the same.

ihilker
02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
The RSVR is hardly outdated for the street rider... but a five year life cycle for a competitive sport bike is reaching Grandfather status. The Jap bikes seeing life cycles now shorter than 2 years. I agree with many of you that it will be sad to see the Rotax v60 go. But it has it's limitations... the close angle crowds the cylinders. The L90 has more potential, less imbalance, is harder to package... but still has limitations. IMHO the V4 is the best configuration... the sound unmistakably unique, power and torque everywhere, and a better choice for a competitive bike. There is a reason there are only two I-4's, zero twins and zero triples in MotoGP, the highest form of two wheel competition. IMO where the RSVR shines is on the street. Cost will be the V4's downfall. If you want a sporting V4 you currently only have two options. 1.) Desmosedici (at 72k USD and limited production) lets be honest... for most of us (unless your Tom Cruise) you won't have one in your garage any time soon. 2.) The Honda VFR800 Interceptor... fantastic bike but lets face it, 100hp at the rear wheel and 500+ lbs ain't gonna cut it. Aprilia has the ability to get it's new V4 to the market before anyone, however, all Honda has to do is release a new 1000cc V4 RC or RVF for a fraction of the price and Noale is in trouble.

eyilon
02-17-2008, 02:04 PM
ihilker you have some good arguments there. Jap bikes change quite often but general layout isnt changed that much realy. They want to follow fashion and the publics thirst for the latest. Look at how little Ducati changed their 916, even in WSB. That had a pretty long lifespan . But anyway you might be right and it may very well need a redesign. Regarding the V60 it certainly has its limitations but Rotax and everybody knew that from the begining, its hard facts, but still it had its strong points and thats compactness and the freedom of placement in a frame. That can do up for the loss of power, if its good enough. You can see that KTM are thinking in these lines with their new RC8 with a V75. What I think is that a herritage has been built with the Rotax V60 mill, and I know that some in Noale are thinking in these lines too. It is a concern, and Aprilia are in doubt about what to do with the RSV! It is a hell of a bike and Aprilias first big bike. It is plain and simple, motorcycle history:happy: Just upgrade it with bigger bore, and dont make it a super tourer:bangwall: Then (or now!) focus on their new adventure, the V4 which I believe is the way to go. BTW hondas V4 racers has never been cheap, actually quite pricey:bump: