PDA

View Full Version : Potential purchase

boingo
11-18-2007, 02:08 PM
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/7/0/89577670.htm

Hello out there. I'm an Aprilia guy but my dad is considering purchasing the bike in the attachment. It's been painted but I don't know much about them. He asked me to post this and get any and all feedback we can. Any thoughts....is it a fair deal? Please let me know. We already have a call into the guy and are waiting for him to call us back so we can go look at it.

kingcapt
11-18-2007, 03:48 PM
Hi Boingo,
I owned a V11 Lemans, the sister to the Mandelo Rosso. Actaully, the Mandelo Rosso was a Ltd. Edition commemorative of Mandelo, if I am not mistaken, the town where the Guzzi plant is located on Lake Como, Italy.

The original color was bloody Italian Red, as it probably should be returned to. (IMO) The bike had extra carbon bits as is still on this particular machine. I don't know for sure if the exhaust is Ti, or not.

Now about the machine; The latest generation (to date of this machine)powerplant was the 1100 cc OHV, pushrod V-twin. It is basically a refined version of the original platform used all the way back to about 1968 (me thinks). The V7 was famous for being an indestructable, torque monster. This platform was/is a very reliable, easy to work on motor, requiring little maintanance.

The modern-day V11 is just a better, bigger, high compression version, now with fuel injection.

Their strengths: Tons O' Torque! The exhaust note is absolute music to the ears! These Guzzi exude character. The feel (motor personality) is a cross between Harley hotrod torque and exotic bigbore bruiser cafe racer. - One thing to keep in mind, they do "rock" from flywheel effect, as the crank is heavy and runs clockwise. As you goose it (no pun intended), it gently rolls to the right. No biggy, chalk it up to character. It taks a little getting used to, but I never minded it. They ride like they're on rails. They have a rather long wheel-base. They have Gold Series Brembo's, and large rotors. The still run the classic white face Veglia gauges.

Their weaknesses: They're heavy. While they produce tons of torque with a very unique and sweet exhaust note, I found the machine to be "flat". It rolled on well, but had little topend to speak of. Modifying the motor for performance is very costly and does not (IMO) provide much reward as comparative to dollars spent. (If I recall, getting 100 to 105 HP RWHP would require several $1000, and you still have a 550 lb+ machine.)

Summary: They are a wonderful machine, classic, having a very long history in Italian sporting machines. Their exhaust is fantastic sounding. You will never see 2 at any event (at least in the NE U.S.). They are reliable, and easy to work on. They will run literally forever.

I do not believe this is the greatest of buys either, meaning only that I think you could pay less. But, that's an opinion, and if your Pop likes the bike, and it hasn't been wrecked (the paint change would concern me, as the Rosso [Red] paint had a black stripe and was beautiful), he will likely thoroughly enjoy this unique classic. -kingcapt

AndyD
11-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Yeah, you definitely need to ask why the new paint?? Why on earth do that ugly green?
And don't take any BS for an answer. Look it over carefully for signs of frame repaint/repair.

DeBenGuzzi
11-18-2007, 08:26 PM
thats not a rosso mandello, UNLESS they changed the frame color and valve covers as well, thats a 2000-2001 V11 sport standard, new paint but then the stock paint is prone to bubble and flake so not a bad investment. You can double check my information if the clutch rattles out in neutral then it has the single plate rosso mandello edition clutch otherwise if it rattles with the clutch pulled in it is definatly(I already know it is) standard V11sport, nothign wrong with standard but thats just what it is all the rosso had was different paint a CF flyscreen and single plate clutch. It has the 1200 at its cheapest Guzzi Ti performance pipes and ECU because they came together, it looks immaculate and 6900 might be slightly high its not if you consider a well sorted and hopped up ready to ride for 200,000mi Guzzi. You can't go wrong on this purchase if a guzzi is what you want. :cheers:

boingo
11-18-2007, 11:20 PM
DeBenn,
You are right on. The old man and I just got back from a look at the bike. It is a V11 sport that the guy has been working on to make a rep of the rosso. My dad is still interested but we found a few things of concern that maybe you all can help out with. First...what's up with the clutch? While in neutral and pulled in, there is a hell of a clatter. Is this normal? My Aprilia RSVR doesn't do that at all nor do any of my Triumphs. We also found a gas leak at the screw under the right hand throttle body. Probably just a gasket or something easy, but do any of you have experience with that? The last item we noticed was oil leaking (albeit very little but there was one drip present and signs of some before splattering around) coming from the engine side of the shaft drive linkage. I couldn't really find out where it was coming from, but I'm assuming at the engine/shaft coupling. Is this an easy fix or something expensive? It would be our luck that we ended up dismattling the entire bike just to get an O-ring or two if you know what I mean. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. Oh by the way, if he does buy it he definately going to paint it that deep red and probably look for new valve covers or anodize the ones he already has. He doesn't care to much for the paint as it sits. I think he willing to go 6K dependant on the cost and time to fix those two issues.

FalcoLion
11-19-2007, 01:50 AM
I have seen this bike on V11LeMans.com. Go to V11LeMans.com (http://www.V11LeMans.com). It s an awesome site with tons of info

dallascat
11-19-2007, 01:53 PM
Boingo:
if you do not mind the distance, mphcycles in Houston (http://www.mphcycles.com/Used%20Bikes/USED_BIKES.htmL) has a 2004, low miles, models with Ohlins suspensions and CF bits... did not see the bike in person but I did by my wife's breva from them and they are great to deal with and possibly the most knowledgable Guzzi dealership in my neck of the wood...

happy shopping... :burnout:
Texascat

boingo
11-20-2007, 03:44 PM
Well, he bought it. 6K. That seems fair. Here is our plan. We need to fix the fuel leak on the right side throttle body and replace the seals for the shaft. New tires so we'll fix the shaft when the back wheel is off. We will then pull the engine and bits to paint the frame black and paint the other parts rosso red. Two new valve covers and a couple of parts here and there, then it will look like a rosso. New graphics and eventually a new carbon fiber exhaust. If you knew my dad, he is totally meticulous and when it's done it will be perfect. Does anyone know what stock tires came on the bike? He is going to want to put it back as perfect as possible. Once the bike gets here, I will post pics of the progress albeit slow, it will be done right. Thanks to all who replied but when the bike bug bites you it's hard to stop yourself as I'm sure you all know. Just for info, the old man already has plenty of bikes....Old Triumphs (almost all 3 cylinders except for one Bonneville) a coupld of old BSA's. They are all in stock condition with only a couple of aftermarket parts due to the unobtanium factor. He is still looking for a twin Vincent HRD, so if you know anyone who has one let me know. Thanks again and I will keep you all posted as to the progress.:cheers:

Jupiter
11-21-2007, 12:38 AM
Moto International is a great resource. Good guys.

Hope your dad likes the bike!

boingo
11-21-2007, 04:15 PM
Thanks Jupiter. Actually MotoI is facilitating the purchase. Turns out the guy who is selling it still owes some $$ for it and is "trading" it in on something else. The bottom line is that dad is paying Moto I for the bike, so the guy can clear his loan and have some left over for his new bikes down payment. Either way dad doesn't care who he pays as long as the price is 6K. As far as dealing with them (motoi) those guys are really good, especially on guzzi's. It's usually where I go to get "emergency" Aprilia parts for my bike and they are always very helpful. The really great thing about my dad buying more bikes is that he's too old to ride them. He goes about 10 miles and gets tired. This means I get to take all the bikes for their monthly "keeping it running" rides if you know what I mean. I usually hit the same few stops, coffee, lunch, etc....and see many of the same people. They think I own so many bikes but the truth is I only have a couple......but if they don't ask....I don't tell. So if any of you see a 30 something year old kid on some mint old Triumphs, BSA, or soon to be Guzzi.....it's not mine. Make sure you tell me that "dads got a nice bike." Then I'll know your a member. Thanks all.

DeBenGuzzi
11-22-2007, 12:26 AM
take some pictures of the leak, and definatly get on V11lemans.com I'm a moderator over there and I don't mean any disrespect to AF1 but you can't beat the guzzi knowledge over there. the clutch being pulled in is normal, its like the opposite of a ducati clutch which makes the same noise with the clutch out, nothing to worry about, the leak I'd have to see it(both of them) to be able to tell better, I had my pressure regulator start leaking one day and that was a pain, but a simple tank lifting and .50 O ring and I was done, well after I went back twice as I got the wrong o-ring, then the wrong TYPE of o ring. who knew there were soo many dang o rings?? :bangwall:

boingo
11-24-2007, 06:23 PM
It's home and ran fine. Very cold though. I must say that compared to my RSVR there is very little wind protection. My legs are still numb. However I was astonished by the low speed handling ability. Holy crap this thing has a low center of gravity. It's almost a "look and she will go there" feel instead of a lean into the corner feeling. I kinda liked her. Not the power of mine, but it sure did sound fantastic and was suprisingly smooth. I will get photo's posted soon of the leaks and then the work begins. It is really a nice machine. Oh by the way, the owner of Moto International threw in a free CD of the maintenance manual. Really nice guy. He told us that he even wrote a book on Guzzi's called Guzziology. I'm sure most of you have heard about it, and he sure seemed to know his stuff. He went over the bike with a fine toothed comb to make sure everything was safe and in working condition. He even handled the licensing for pops so no need to go to the DMV. I would suggest that if you don't have the book and own a Guzzi, tell whomever is getting you a Christmas present that the book is what you want. Lots of pages of info in there. Thanks everyone....my 62 year old dad is acting like a baby right now. I'm loving it!

DeBenGuzzi
11-25-2007, 07:59 PM
It's home and ran fine. Very cold though. I must say that compared to my RSVR there is very little wind protection. My legs are still numb. However I was astonished by the low speed handling ability. Holy crap this thing has a low center of gravity. It's almost a "look and she will go there" feel instead of a lean into the corner feeling. I kinda liked her. Not the power of mine, but it sure did sound fantastic and was suprisingly smooth. I will get photo's posted soon of the leaks and then the work begins. It is really a nice machine. Oh by the way, the owner of Moto International threw in a free CD of the maintenance manual. Really nice guy. He told us that he even wrote a book on Guzzi's called Guzziology. I'm sure most of you have heard about it, and he sure seemed to know his stuff. He went over the bike with a fine toothed comb to make sure everything was safe and in working condition. He even handled the licensing for pops so no need to go to the DMV. I would suggest that if you don't have the book and own a Guzzi, tell whomever is getting you a Christmas present that the book is what you want. Lots of pages of info in there. Thanks everyone....my 62 year old dad is acting like a baby right now. I'm loving it!

thats whats great about the shortframed V11's they'll keep up with almost anything in the twisties, not the straights but then they are more of a twisty B road and commuter type of bike than a all-out sport bike, the riding position and power delivery is more of the sport-touring variety and they have a decent selection of removeable luggage and tank bags if youre so inclined. I have 18,000mi on mine with nothing more than a leaky fork seal, and replaced batteries and relays. The only thing else wrong with it is I stripped a bolt not reading my torq wrench correctly for a valve cover bolt :bangwall: ah well I got a heli-coil kit to fix it in the spring :blah:

boingo
11-26-2007, 06:18 PM
I have a question about the bike. Just forward of the tank sitting in a recess is a large bolt looking thing that appears to go into the frame. It sits in a recess just forward of the tank in the center. It that some sort of breather bolt or something? Looks like someone tried to take it off at some point and kinda screwed up the hex on it. Not too bad but the old man is thinking of replacing it, but neither of us know what it is. Couldn't find it in any manuals we got so I though I'd ask here.

FalcoLion
11-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Boingo,

I highly recommend for you and your dad to get to V11 Lemans Forum (http://www.v11lemans.com). In any case here the picture that I hope will help you somewhat
Part 17 (special Screw) - Moto Guzzi Part number is 95 99 00 84
http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m200/FalcoLion/My%20Bikes/MGV11Screw.jpg