PDA

View Full Version : Unfaithfulness

caustis
11-06-2007, 02:15 AM
The story so far:

Suffered a simple drop of my T in a cul-de-sac. When I got it home, I discovered that the rear brake pedal had punched a 4cm hole in the lower frame strut. This was on the eve of a 3500km trip to the GP and back! Patched it up mas much asI could.

On the trip, the bike performed perfectly, but when I returned, I took it to the dealer for an opinion.
The long and the short of itr all is that the bike was written off, because the frame was deemed unrepairable. Absolutely nothing else wrong, except a dent in one of the Akra's (which I'm getting repaired).

So; bye-bye Tuono.

The good news was that the insurance company, on agreeing that the bike was a write off, payed out the agreed value; despite the fact that it was greater than the replacement price of a new T! (I wasn't arguing - something to do with the fall in the value of the Euro with respect to the A$ over the last year.)

So what to do?
Had a look at the Duc Monster S4RS. A very nice bike, but in my opinion, not quite up there with the T.
Rejected the Superduke, because it was even taller that the T, and I could only get my tip-toes on the ground.

Then I discovered that, for a sum extra, there was one Tuono Factory available in the country.

Until I discovered that, for the same price, there was one of these available as well:

I guess from now on, I'll be in the 'Other Italian Makes' forum.

Another piece of good luck was that all the extras on the bike (including the Akras) were not listed on the policy, so I got to keep them. I'll post a message when I get the LHS can repaired.

Cheers,
Caustis

Harry H
11-06-2007, 03:14 AM
Don't do it... Buy the T back off the insurnace company for washers and get the frame fixed. It''ll then owe you nothing. Your lap times will improve no end next summer.:bump:

TumchfunO
11-06-2007, 03:24 AM
Buy the factory.. I did, you will never look back! I have seen the one thats left,, its Beautiful, and waiting for you!

ARAIHEAD
11-06-2007, 03:32 AM
The story so far:

Suffered a simple drop of my T in a cul-de-sac. When I got it home, I discovered that the rear brake pedal had punched a 4cm hole in the lower frame strut. This was on the eve of a 3500km trip to the GP and back! Patched it up mas much asI could.

On the trip, the bike performed perfectly, but when I returned, I took it to the dealer for an opinion.
The long and the short of itr all is that the bike was written off, because the frame was deemed unrepairable. Absolutely nothing else wrong, except a dent in one of the Akra's (which I'm getting repaired).

So; bye-bye Tuono.

The good news was that the insurance company, on agreeing that the bike was a write off, payed out the agreed value; despite the fact that it was greater than the replacement price of a new T! (I wasn't arguing - something to do with the fall in the value of the Euro with respect to the A$ over the last year.)

So what to do?
Had a look at the Duc Monster S4RS. A very nice bike, but in my opinion, not quite up there with the T.
Rejected the Superduke, because it was even taller that the T, and I could only get my tip-toes on the ground.

Then I discovered that, for a sum extra, there was one Tuono Factory available in the country.

Until I discovered that, for the same price, there was one of these available as well:

Another piece of good luck was that all the extras on the bike (including the Akras) were not listed on the policy, so I got to keep them. I'll post a message when I get the LHS can repaired.

Cheers,
Caustis

My m8 bought one of them, i bet yer dont have it very long!:eek::)

dougan
11-06-2007, 03:40 AM
That 910R is a beast of a machine... be careful. More power than the hand of God. Front wheel is allergic to pavement. Fucking fun bike... and so beautiful.

check out www.mvagusta.net (http://www.mvagusta.net)

the only forum I've found that rivals AF1 for overall participation and knowledge (of any motorcycle make). I've been a member there for a couple years... its a great forum.

funny crowd, those MV guys.... you'll notice they are a little more "nancy" compared to your aprilia brethren.

have fun.

Harry H
11-06-2007, 03:54 AM
Looks Japanese to me:)

gareth h
11-06-2007, 04:37 AM
I've heard of this happening a few times, is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

caustis
11-06-2007, 05:56 AM
Don't do it... Buy the T back off the insurnace company for washers and get the frame fixed. It''ll then owe you nothing. Your lap times will improve no end next summer.:bump:
Not allowed, I'm afraid. Something to do with prevention of collusion.
It would be a fantastic idea, though; the T with a patched frame (it can't be THAT difficult) would make one hell of a good track bike.

caustis
11-06-2007, 06:01 AM
I've heard of this happening a few times, is there anything that can be done to prevent it?

There were three Tuonos written off in Sydney over the last couple of years, because of similar damage. Frame sliders are a necessity. I had a pair fitted; but the geometry of the road surface meant that the bike pivotted on the slider, then whacked against the rear brake. Someone in the forum suggested fitting rigid foot pegs (or longer sliders than the Aprilia-made version). This would save a lot of grief, in the event of a minor drop.

DRADE
11-06-2007, 07:14 AM
Someone in the forum suggested fitting rigid foot pegs (or longer sliders than the Aprilia-made version). This would save a lot of grief, in the event of a minor drop.

thats what I am thinking of doing along with a number of other chaps, here in Greece, after we've witnessed several such unfortunate write offs

eSells
11-06-2007, 07:15 AM
I'm ready to thake the F'r off, I don't use it unless I am stopped at a light on a hill and need a stretch.
can the brake be lowered or something, I almost dropped the bike on the drive way on the stand, it's a hill so I always put it in gear and roll forward until it stops, then put down the stand.
I don't think you can get into heaven if you kill a T that way.

or add the extra brake lever on the bars that jason and the stunt guys use and take the foot brake off.

gareth h
11-06-2007, 08:37 AM
Could be a good reason to fit rearsets with fixed pegs.

ceesthadees
11-06-2007, 10:59 AM
A while back, another rider had the same thing happen. I bought the bike from him for a track bike. He had an expert aluminum welder fix the crack before I picked it up.

http://www.cecilmccracken.com/gallery/d/7842-2/Picture_026.jpg

I bet with a little ingenuity, this could be rattle-canned right out of sight! However, I certainly do not care about the color change. :burnout:

ohiomike
11-06-2007, 11:07 AM
anyone have a pictire of the damage after the fall?? I am curious to see this damage and is there a way to prevent it in a future wreck/ tip over??

whiner
11-06-2007, 12:06 PM
is there a way to prevent it in a future wreck/ tip over??

What about a folding brake end.That way in crash it would simply fold in. Would that pass an M.O.T.

Earthpilot
11-06-2007, 12:16 PM
Could be a good reason to fit rearsets with fixed pegs.

I have Acculigns with "fixed pegs" on both of my bikes however
I worry that the solid peg could leverage enough pressure
on the whole assembly to break off the frame tabs/attachments
on a tipover/crash - that would total the frame also -
seems like I saw that on the forum here a year or two ago...

cejay
11-06-2007, 11:50 PM
How much is a frame for a Tuono?

I had an accident on the Blade last year. The frame AND the swing arm were toast, along with all the plastic items, radiator etc...

Total damage, inc labour was A$9500. The bike was insured through Shannons with an agreed value of $16000 (way more than it was worth) and repaired. The frame cost was A$2500 and the swingarm was $1000. Total labour was 14hrs.

Assuming the frame from Aprilia is platinum and encrusted with diamonds, it might be double that of the Honda? Even so, a $20k bike with a $6k frame damage shouldn't be written off. Labour wouldn't be horrendous, maybe a couple of days at a $k a day, but even so....

What's at play is the payout vs the salvage price. It can be cheaper for them to write you a market price cheque and sell the bike with a damaged frame and lose less money than paying $8k for the frame to be replaced.

TUONOAPE
11-07-2007, 04:26 AM
How much is a frame for a Tuono?
My '04 RSV was written off because of some deep scratches on the frame and my refusal to accept anything less than a replacement one. Cost of frame was $6000 - obviously that tipped it over with the other relatively minor damage, and they wrote it off.

cejay
11-07-2007, 04:35 AM
Berluddy hell! $6000?

Next time someone whines about the cost of Jap parts, think of my $2000 for the Blade, arguably a very good frame, just not as beautiful as the Aprilia.

TUONOAPE
11-07-2007, 04:58 AM
what on earth were you thinking caustis?! An MV for god's sake! - you might as well have bought a DUC!!!

Don't be bringing that angry little sucker anywhere near me, or I'll have to thrash it into submission!!!

Seriously though, I was considering a brutale at one point, until I had a good ride on one. I could get used to it and it was fun, but it let me down on the twisties, just not as good (FAST) as the T - but then I haven't found anything else that is either. They would be good on the track though I reckon.

Radiclus
11-07-2007, 09:27 AM
You do realize that the Brutale uses the heart of an orphan gypsy as a fuel pump?

whiner
11-07-2007, 09:39 AM
The story so far:

Suffered a simple drop of my T in a cul-de-sac.

So what to do?

Cheers,
Caustis

Sorry to hear that your going to go! but all the best, hope you come back after you ride the other makes and miss the Tuono (:kidding:with it so many faults:kidding:) But seriously a Tuono should not be killed in a cul-de-sac.