PDA

View Full Version : Not Wanting To Change Gear Sometimes....HELP!

h2ku
10-29-2007, 02:13 PM
Ok well I havent riden the bike in about 2 days, and I went out today to luble the chain, and on my way to my dads garage, the bike didnt want to change gear, usually 3rd or 4th or other gears sometimes :WTF:

*I havent put any gearbox oil into my bike since I got it, almost 2 months ago, could this be the problem?*

Thanks

Strid
10-29-2007, 02:27 PM
Ok well I havent riden the bike in about 2 days, and I went out today to luble the chain, and on my way to my dads garage, the bike didnt want to change gear, usually 3rd or 4th or other gears sometimes :WTF:

*I havent put any gearbox oil into my bike since I got it, almost 2 months ago, could this be the problem?*

Thanks

Flush the gear oil!! This is a common problem with the AM6 gearbox, unfortunately. Many people get false neutrals too .. not really anything that you can do about it. But fresh gear oil does help in lots of cases. So that's your only option unless you want to strip the gearbox and see if anything has been worn out.

h2ku
10-29-2007, 02:35 PM
Flush the gear oil!! This is a common problem with the AM6 gearbox, unfortunately. Many people get false neutrals too .. not really anything that you can do about it. But fresh gear oil does help in lots of cases. So that's your only option unless you want to strip the gearbox and see if anything has been worn out.

Hm...I sometimes get a false neutral as well!

So what kind of replacement oil do I use?

Explain "flushing the gear oil" please strid....I dont really know what it is...sorry to sound silly lol!

Thanks again matey

samRS
10-29-2007, 03:17 PM
drain all the oil and fill it back up with some new stuff, i used 10w 40 which is the same as 75w 90 or whatever it says to use in the manual

Is the chain correctly adjusted aswell?

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 05:06 PM
k I sometimes get a false neutral as well. normal between 4 - 5 but only when im raging it.

i allways top up my oil and i use 10w - 40
coz it never use to go in to gear.
the other day i went to go drain teh oil out and start fresh and omg would u belive u cant on my bike so any idears ?

i have a 2003 rs50 tuono ????

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:08 PM
drain all the oil and fill it back up with some new stuff, i used 10w 40 which is the same as 75w 90 or whatever it says to use in the manual

Is the chain correctly adjusted aswell?

Kk cool thanks, it should say how to drain the gearbox in the haynes manual yeah?

I'l go down and get some oil in the morning thanks guys :D

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:09 PM
it says how to in the haynes manual but wat it says ant on my bike :(

sheehan
10-29-2007, 06:10 PM
:plus:

Right, replaced my gearbox oil about 2 weeks ago and its always happened, when i absolutely ragg it for about 3 or 4 mins, when i change gear it seems liek it goes into neutral, i guess what you would call false neutral. Anyway is this common then as it makes me think my bike is shit and somethings broke :D i was thinking new clutch plates and springs really? :burnout:

sheehan
10-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Kk cool thanks, it should say how to drain the gearbox in the haynes manual yeah?

I'l go down and get some oil in the morning thanks guys :D
Its in the FAQ lol

and go to halfords for the oil (Y)

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:14 PM

Right, replaced my gearbox oil about 2 weeks ago and its always happened, when i absolutely ragg it for about 3 or 4 mins, when i change gear it seems liek it goes into neutral, i guess what you would call false neutral. Anyway is this common then as it makes me think my bike is shit and somethings broke :D i was thinking new clutch plates and springs really? :burnout:

Yeah well most RS50's will false neutral at some point on a journey, especially when your giving it a little beating lol.

Hmm...you only really need to replace the clutch etc when ya feel it slipping alot, or when you got a really late biting point, which means your clutch is about to go lol.

:burnout:

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:20 PM

Sick

k u replaced ur oil yer how the fuck did ug et ur old oil out ??

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:22 PM
Sick

I'l have a look about for ya matey, should be on the side of the engine though, or ask your dealer?

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:25 PM
it says it should be on the bottom but it ant all i have is a screw half way up the casing to cheak if it has oil . there is no drain point at all. ??

sheehan
10-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Sick

Its a 12mm drainer screw underneath the engine on the right hand side near the subframe.

Bucket underneath the bike, undo the cap at the top of the engine casing, then the drainer screw, make sure oil is all out, stick drainer screw back in bottom. then undo the screw on the side of the engine, pour in fresh oil with the bike UPRIGHT until it comes out the middle hole. whack the middle bolt back it, put the cap on and youre done! (Y) :burnout:

sheehan
10-29-2007, 06:28 PM
http://img238.exs.cx/img238/4281/tnpicture1273qp.jpg

bottom arrow is the drainer screw nick.

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:29 PM
Its a 12mm drainer screw underneath the engine on the right hand side near the subframe.

Bucket underneath the bike, undo the cap at the top of the engine casing, then the drainer screw, make sure oil is all out, stick drainer screw back in bottom. then undo the screw on the side of the engine, pour in fresh oil with the bike UPRIGHT until it comes out the middle hole. whack the middle bolt back it, put the cap on and youre done! (Y) :burnout:

yer ... i know thats how u do it but i dnt have a drain screw ???

Sick

BTW we ant taken any ones thread over yet lol

Sick

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:31 PM
http://img238.exs.cx/img238/4281/tnpicture1273qp.jpg

bottom arrow is the drainer screw nick.

look u ur geting to clever now using pictures and all lol

But the problem i still have is i dnt have a drain screw at the bottom and ur engine looks lik it has a lot more gonig on then mine dose :(

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:35 PM

Thanks for the heads up mate!

So where do ya put the new oil? Top cap bit or middle screw? Thanks

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:36 PM
yer ... i know thats how u do it but i dnt have a drain screw ???

Sick

BTW we ant taken any ones thread over yet lol

Sick

BTW U aint takin over my thread lol

sheehan
10-29-2007, 06:37 PM
look u ur geting to clever now using pictures and all lol

But the problem i still have is i dnt have a drain screw at the bottom and ur engine looks lik it has a lot more gonig on then mine dose :(
hahahahahaahh i fuckin wish that was my engine mate!!! Hmm well its behind the subframe, underneath, little silver hexagonal bolt? doesnt look anything fancy, but it must be there, cant see the tuonos having no drainer hole :S

top cap matey.

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:38 PM

u put it in the top one and wait till it cumes out the middle one then it is filled

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:38 PM
u put it in the top one and wait till it cumes out the middle one then it is filled

kk thanks just wanted to make sure ;)

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:39 PM
BTW U aint takin over my thread lol

oh go on lets us plzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:40 PM
hahahahahaahh i fuckin wish that was my engine mate!!! Hmm well its behind the subframe, underneath, little silver hexagonal bolt? doesnt look anything fancy, but it must be there, cant see the tuonos having no drainer hole :S

top cap matey.

belive me m8t the tuonos are a complety diffrent bike y would think oh yer same as rs50 but fuck me they ant ever thing is diffrent but the same lol if that makes any sence :P

sheehan
10-29-2007, 06:40 PM
yeah, pweeeeeeessssssssssseeeeee :plus:

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:43 PM

No :bangwall: you guys already took over my thread about a cheap exhaust lol

belive me m8t the tuonos are a complety diffrent bike y would think oh yer same as rs50 but fuck me they ant ever thing is diffrent but the same lol if that makes any sence :P

They should still be the same with the drainer hole :S

yeah, pweeeeeeessssssssssseeeeee :plus:

No :o

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:47 PM
No :bangwall: you guys already took over my thread about a cheap exhaust lol

They should still be the same with the drainer hole :S

No :o

lol ok will make a deal u can join us int aking over a thread lol.

and it ant ther ei have looked for the drain hole for hours and hours. i even used the manual and that coz i fort i was being stupied but it ant there :(

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:48 PM
lol ok will make a deal u can join us int aking over a thread lol.

and it ant ther ei have looked for the drain hole for hours and hours. i even used the manual and that coz i fort i was being stupied but it ant there :(

Yeah deal :D

Say.....One in the 125 forum? lolol :D

Not sure where it is then mate!

sheehan
10-29-2007, 06:49 PM
mate that is strange.

Best thing i can say is start undoing random bolts under the engine and see which ones piss gearbox oil out hahaha

Ahh well, looks like we will have to nick another thread.

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 06:53 PM
mate that is strange.

Best thing i can say is start undoing random bolts under the engine and see which ones piss gearbox oil out hahaha

Ahh well, looks like we will have to nick another thread.

lol that ant a gd idea wat if im laying under it and the engin full out and kills me :( lol yer i think we gotta tak over a 125 thread them barsteds on there 125 think there all that lol

sheehan
10-29-2007, 06:56 PM
lol that ant a gd idea wat if im laying under it and the engin full out and kills me :( lol yer i think we gotta tak over a 125 thread them barsteds on there 125 think there all that lol
haha too right, mind you i have to join that in march dont really wanna make a bad name for myself haha would be sick though haha

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:56 PM

Lol well then just dont lay directly under it :D

Yeah lets take over a thread of theirs :D

But they aint all bad, most of them are ok :D Just one or 2 lol

h2ku
10-29-2007, 06:57 PM
haha too right, mind you i have to join that in march dont really wanna make a bad name for myself haha would be sick though haha

And Il be joining it pretty soon 2 lol so i gota behave (A)

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 07:01 PM
ah u 2 dnt get 125 there pance i meet a kid 2day who was lik my 125 is the bollocks my little 50 beat him for fuck sack. but saying that my 50 is fast dnt ask me y but it seems to beat a lot of stuff ?

oi joe wat happend to ur idear of a beast of a bandit :(

Sick

sheehan
10-29-2007, 07:03 PM
ah u 2 dnt get 125 there pance i meet a kid 2day who was lik my 125 is the bollocks my little 50 beat him for fuck sack. but saying that my 50 is fast dnt ask me y but it seems to beat a lot of stuff ?

Sick
Haha only getting a 125 cos i cant stand the 50, will only have it till i pass my test, probably like 2 months max lol but yeah definately getting bandit :D gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

h2ku
10-29-2007, 07:03 PM

Sick

Your 50 beat a 125? Was he reversing? lol :kidding:

Thats pretty impossible unless his was restricted, and u got an 80cc bbk and arrow etc exhaust and 21mm carb lol :D :burnout:

h2ku
10-29-2007, 07:04 PM
Haha only getting a 125 cos i cant stand the 50, will only have it till i pass my test, probably like 2 months max lol but yeah definately getting bandit :D gonna be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Yeah same here, I'l have my 125 till I get money saved for a bigger bike lol.

50's are so annoying atm lol

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 07:08 PM
Your 50 beat a 125? Was he reversing? lol :kidding:

Thats pretty impossible unless his was restricted, and u got an 80cc bbk and arrow etc exhaust and 21mm carb lol :D :burnout:

thats the thing i ant got any of this big bore kit or carbs or any thing
all iv had done is race turned the gearbox and dersticted it and run it on 10w - 40 gear oil and full senfetic racing oil. and it gos elik a rocket iv been caught by a police man with a speed gun dooing 83mph down a hill

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 07:09 PM

as long as u still get ur bandit :P

sheehan
10-29-2007, 07:12 PM
all iv had done is race turned the gearbox and dersticted it and run it on 10w - 40 gear oil and full senfetic racing oil. and it gos elik a rocket iv been caught by a police man with a speed gun dooing 83mph down a hill
maybe with different gearing, but yeah speed guns are innacurate on motorbikes anyway :P yeah definately cant wait for bandit, we will have to ride asap!

Yeah same here, I'l have my 125 till I get money saved for a bigger bike lol.

50's are so annoying atm lol
50s are annoying full stop mate.

h2ku
10-29-2007, 07:12 PM

How steep was this hill? lol

And how did you race tune the gearbox?

h2ku
10-29-2007, 07:13 PM
50s are annoying full stop mate.

Amen to that :D

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 07:16 PM
the hill ant that steep it gose over a motorway and yer the are out i was prob doing more lik 85 or sumthing.

that a nothing thing i h8t is how ppl will never belive how fast u go but hey w.e

i dnt now how it was race htune di didnt do it guy who onwed it before me did ??

and when u get ur beast jo and i get my z 750 will hav to go ride bout lol

sheehan
10-29-2007, 07:19 PM
the hill ant that steep it gose over a motorway and yer the are out i was prob doing more lik 85 or sumthing.

that a nothing thing i h8t is how ppl will never belive how fast u go but hey w.e

i dnt now how it was race htune di didnt do it guy who onwed it before me did ??

and when u get ur beast jo and i get my z 750 will hav to go ride bout lol
yeahh man im definately up for that, go tear up some places :P

Anyway ive got college in the morning so im off to bed, g'night y'all! :cheers:

h2ku
10-29-2007, 07:19 PM

Night mate, Im off tech all week for halloween :D

Tuono Boi
10-29-2007, 07:21 PM
yeahh man im definately up for that, go tear up some places :P

ah lol nite nite i ant got collage till wednesday hehe :)

V6jules
10-29-2007, 07:25 PM

Sick

your having a laugh?? was it 4t or 2t. My old CB125 4t would thrash the pants off your little 50 let alone if you raced a 125 2T.

Ive no idea what type of gearbox oil you should be running but if the book says 10w 40 then thats what you use although its MUCH thinner than 75w 80. the rs50 is exactly the same bike as the tuono 50 but with different body work. the drain plug will be in the bottom and im sure you can find it if you look properly.

h2ku
10-29-2007, 07:28 PM
your having a laugh?? was it 4t or 2t. My old CB125 4t would thrash the pants off your little 50 let alone if you raced a 125 2T.

Ive no idea what type of gearbox oil you should be running but if the book says 10w 40 then thats what you use although its MUCH thinner than 75w 80. the rs50 is exactly the same bike as the tuono 50 but with different body work. the drain plug will be in the bottom and im sure you can find it if you look properly.

Yeah I was thinking the same about the tuono but then again I've never laid hands on one lol.

Anyways, Im gona check out my oil 2moro and see whats up.

Im away to bed, nite all :D

Tuono Boi
10-30-2007, 05:56 AM

well i know my bike is fast and it dnt bother me if u dnt think it is coz i dnt know u so it dnt matter and the tuono is diffrent to a rs and there is no drain screw

V6jules
10-30-2007, 07:10 AM
well i know my bike is fast and it dnt bother me if u dnt think it is coz i dnt know u so it dnt matter and the tuono is diffrent to a rs and there is no drain screw

The 50cc engine in the tuono is EXACTLY the same as the rs. as is most of the rest of the bike! im not going to argue with some little noob who knows jack shit about bikes! and is bigging it up thinking its really fast. we can all pretend our bikes are fast when they are not lol.

anyway heres a pik of the drain screw

http://www.apriliaforum.com/techtips/rs50/rs75/fluids2.jpg

jonesy46
10-30-2007, 08:04 AM
i have an idea of where you can get your gearbox oil out, there are two draining points one is where everyone is point and the other is unscrew the neutral switch on the left side of your bike, itslocated underaneth the front sprocket, undo should have a philips screw onit take that off the unscrew using a socket , tans oil shud come pissing out

gd luck lol

johnnyb
10-30-2007, 12:20 PM
hi ya iv not read everyones comment but i would defo say transmission fulid get a fresh lot in there thats what sorted mine out also i added 10ml`s of activ8 friction reducer to help even more and the bike should pick up a little faster with that stuff in it aswell

h2ku
10-30-2007, 04:01 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice, I've flushed the tranny oil and its seemed to fix my problem :D

Everything went smooth, except I had to remove my exhaust as it was in the way lol

Woohoo :D

Havent got to a chance to really ride it since I changed the oil, cos It was piss dark and I had to just leave it in thr garage till 2moro anf go home :(

Chumly
10-31-2007, 01:25 AM
I'm just assuming the false neutral is the nature of the weak 50cc. Relaxing forward power during the down stroke and releasing pressure from the gears? Don't know, but I can't get it any better with all my fiddling. Even back-cut the gears, but that just made is shift in better under power...still kicks out.

That and the sloppy clutch feel are my only real gripes with the bike.

f06352301
02-20-2008, 06:33 AM
need help

i just got a rs 125 and rebuilt the engine and gear box every thing runs good
exept gears are very stiff

i have used 75 90 oil

interesting thing i drained oil out and it selects perfectley:WTF:

any ideas

f06352301
02-22-2008, 06:40 AM
hi all

i just got my first rs125

rebuilt the engine and gear box all parts are good

new clutch cable,clutch friction and steel disks

cable is correctley adjusted

the problem is the gears are very stiff
-i have used 75-90 then 10-30 2 stroke gear oil

but i still have stiff gears i cant change them by foot and can by hand

dose anyone know what the problem can be

speak to ya soon see ya

7changedotcom
11-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Just getting ready to start a new RS50 and was running through the gears and is it right that you can shift it into neutral between every gear? Never had a motorcycle do that I can recall and have had a lot of motocross engines.

bilsta
11-28-2008, 04:20 AM
well no its shouldnt being shifting into neutral between gears, only between first and 2nd as there 1 down 5 up, it may go into neutral between gears if your just moving it by pushing it, but try it when running?

DanHam
11-28-2008, 08:13 AM
yer but sometimes you may get a false neutral between 5th and 6thit happens too me when i rag my bike

bourney2007
11-29-2008, 07:58 AM
Just getting ready to start a new RS50 and was running through the gears and is it right that you can shift it into neutral between every gear? Never had a motorcycle do that I can recall and have had a lot of motocross engines.

No it's not. Neutral should be between 1st and 2nd only. I don't know much about it but i think it's called 'false neutrals' when that happens. Not sure how you'd solve it, maybe you built the gearbox up wrong??
Sometimes it just needs a change of gearbox oil but if you've only just built up the engine then i doubt thats it.

I only presume you've re-built the engine as you say you are getting ready to start it.

Knowlsey_RS50
12-02-2008, 12:15 PM
I asked my bro if he could get me some 10w/40 gearbox oil on his travels and he brang home some castrol magnatec 10w-40 A3/B3, i wasnt sure what the A3/B3 ment and wondered if this is still suitable for my bike? cheers

maxiboi247
12-02-2008, 12:23 PM
if its for use with wet clutch, its ok

Knowlsey_RS50
12-02-2008, 12:42 PM
whats a wet clutch lol ? sorry for newb questions :P
just looked on the net and found out :) im not sure wether it has a wet cluth or not... do '99 rs50's come with a wet clutch because i doubt it has been changed .

bourney2007
12-02-2008, 01:02 PM
whats a wet clutch lol ? sorry for newb questions :P
just looked on the net and found out :) im not sure wether it has a wet cluth or not... do '99 rs50's come with a wet clutch because i doubt it has been changed .

It does have a wet clutch.

Knowlsey_RS50
12-02-2008, 03:18 PM
cheers for help :)