PDA

View Full Version : Goatskin vs. Cowhide

FUN DOG
11-14-2006, 02:20 PM
I just got some gloves that are goatskin with cowhide overlays in the high impact spots. I was wondering just how much tougher cowhide is than goatskin. Is there really a massive difference or is that just hype? The goatskin does feel softer and feels like it would wear through quicker than the cowhide.

hank
11-14-2006, 04:20 PM
I have never heard of anyone using goat skin for protective gear. Cow is the standard and kangaroo has been used more and more lately, since it is suppose to be 40% stronger in terms of wear and therefore, a thinner hide is more comfortable to wear will still providing adequate protection.

I would be leery of goat or deer skin items... stick with what is known to be the good stuff.

ckruzel
11-14-2006, 04:52 PM
brokeback mountain? :)

i'd stick with roo leather myself

what brand of gloves are they?

Chuck B
11-14-2006, 09:47 PM
I don't know what you heard about Deer skin but it makes for great protection from crashes. Much better imho than cow hide particularily for gloves. Other than my helds (Roo skin) the only other glove I where is deer skin. Crash tested many many many times with perfect results.

SoulDaddy
11-14-2006, 10:34 PM
Yeah, deer skin has many fans. Lee Parks comes to mind.

Held is now using stingray skin, if you can fathom that. (sorry!)

naimchase
11-14-2006, 10:56 PM
........ Other than my helds (Roo skin) the only other glove I where is deer skin. Crash tested many many many times with perfect results.
I wore custom fit deerskin Thurlows for many years, until my friend made me wear (bought me) some modern armored gloves. I wear Helds now. The Thurlows did survive a 100 mph trip out from under the bridge at Road Atlanta. I was favorably impressed with their durability compared to cowhide.

Chuck B
11-15-2006, 01:19 AM
Yeah, deer skin has many fans. Lee Parks comes to mind.

Held is now using stingray skin, if you can fathom that. (sorry!)

I noticed my Galaxy's where a bit different then my very old Helds. Didn't know they went to stingray skin. Regardless, nice gloves.

cosaro
11-15-2006, 05:31 AM
I will be investing in Roo boots and pants, jacket and gloves when I can afford them

hank
11-15-2006, 11:23 AM
I noticed my Galaxy's where a bit different then my very old Helds. Didn't know they went to stingray skin. Regardless, nice gloves.

I have an old pair of the Held Galaxy's and would like to check out the new Held's as I have read that they aren't made in Germany anymore... seems like the actual sewing is done in Pakistan or similar place... Even Helimot stopped carrying them and makes their own glove using the same source for hides. Anyone have more info on this?

SoulDaddy
11-15-2006, 12:20 PM
I spoke to the Held distributor and I believe he indicated that the 'roo skin gloves are made in Hungary. The plain leather models are made "elsewhere".

Their stingray model: http://www.newenough.com/held_phantom_glove_page.htm

NorCalRSVR
11-15-2006, 04:53 PM
I have never heard of anyone using goat skin for protective gear.
Hank, I think you need to get out more.:kidding: My old AGV leathers are goat skin. From my discussion with the AGV rep at the time, goatskin is more abrasion resistant than cow hide. It's also lighter and softer (like roo) and stretches or shrinks to conform to the body (unlike roo). I've crash tested them a couple of times and they've held up very well. In fact, after a pretty vicious high side, I slid for ways after landing on my head and left shoulder with no real damage to the suit. Sure, there are some abrasion marks but nothing like a worn spot where the leather is now thinner or has abraded away. This was after having ridden through severe rain in Florida and even a Hurricane (Opal) the goat skin showed no signs of weakening or even drying out. Great stuff and I'd recommend them to anyone who's in need of a set. I'm not sure if AGV still does their leathers in goat skin or not. I know mine no longer fit, but that's just because I'm a fat ass.......
As far a gloves go, I've got no experience with goat skin gloves but if they hold up half as well as my AGV's they'll last forever. The limiting factor will be the quality of the stitching but the leather is well proven.......sean

hank
11-15-2006, 05:32 PM
Thanks Sean - It's always good to learn more about this stuff.... :cheers:

FUN DOG
12-20-2006, 05:14 PM
Didn't mean to abandon the thread, but after a while without replies, I forgot about it. I do appreciate the report on the goatskin, though, as I now have a goatskin leather jacket too, in addition to the gloves. The jacket is very soft and supple and I just can't imagine it holding up in a slide---but it is leather.

Thanks again.